Silence is usually deemed as peaceful, welcoming and pleasant but when a Narcissist goes silent it is none of these things. A narcissist’s silence is never a good thing because the reasons for which they they go silent are usually ill natured.
If a Narcissist is quiet around you, these are the possible reasons:
- They see you as a threat – You may have a strong, confident personality that makes the Narcissist uncomfortable.
- Narcissists are overthinkers and also have an addictive personality – If there is something that is stressing them or there is an upcoming event where they will play a major part, they will obsess about it and go over it again and again in their minds, and play out all the possible outcomes. They analyse conversations and interactions they’ve had through out the day and end up seeing things that were not there and basically creating issues where they weren’t any before.
- They have a secret supply – When in a relationship with a narcissist, if they stop talking to you it’s because they have someone else to talk to. They have a secret supply who they are more concerned with impressing than you. It’s difficult for a narcissist to maintain more than one main supply effectively. They will be loving on one while hating the other. Or being nice to one while abusing the other. So, if the narcissist is love-bombing someone else expect silence and their abscence.
- Plotting to destroy or discard someone – When it comes to taking people out the Narcissist is very focused and strategic as to how they would like this to happen, so when they are plotting someone’s destruction expect silence.
- They are punishing you – Narcissists use the silent treatment as a tool to punish people. If you’ve offended them in any way this is usually their first go to means of retaliation.
Also, a Narcissist’s silence is usually accompanied with a very negative energy that can sometimes be seen and felt. When a narcissist is silent, they become lost in their minds usually dwelling on negative events and emotions. The silent treatment for the narcissist is like a recharging of strength for the darkness within.
It would benefit the Narcissist and the people around them if they never carried out the silent treatment, as nothing good usually comes out of it. They surely are not reflecting on their behaviours and how to change or make someone happy. The Narcissist’s mind is not occupied with such positive thoughts.
All I’m trying to say is that Silence Is Never Golden with the Narcissist involved. Expect only evil and twisted intentions that will lead to someone’s hurt.